Inspiration for these recommendations for unique baby shower gifts came from a chance online meeting of two grandmothers – Oma and Nana.
And, after more than a year I was honored to finally meet in person a super granny, Sally Wendkos Olds, who is also known to her five grandchildren as Oma Sally. That was two weeks ago….
On February 17, 2008, when Nana’s Corner was relatively new, Sally responded to a post I had published about the Legacy Project as a way to celebrate Grandparents Day. We have been communicating ever since and when the opportunity to meet came about, I didn’t want to miss it. I am so very glad I did.
Sally is a very accomplished woman and loving wife and grandmother. I don’t know where she finds the time! She has written 20 books, published many articles, helped residents of a village in Nepal start a library…just a few among her many achievements. She is also a lecturer, active in the second wave of the women’s movement, avid traveler, and so much more.
Unique Baby Shower Gifts |Books for Expectant Moms and Grandmoms
Two of Sally Wendkos Olds’ books are included in my unique baby shower gifts list of books for expectant moms and grandmoms below – all of which I have in my own grandmother’s book collection in my office (except the breastfeeding one):
Unique Baby Shower Gifts |Books for Expectant Moms:
1 – The Complete Book on Breastfeeding, Revised Edition by Sally Wendkos Olds and Marvin S. Eiger
- We enjoyed the first edition, our daughters can now enjoy this updated edition.
- The updated edition became available July 31, 2009.
- Written with professional advice and warm, understanding support.
2 – The Baby Fat Diet by Monica Bearden and Shara Aaron
- A busy mom’s guide to losing weight and looking fabulous!
- The authors are registered dietitians who share sound advice and weight loss tips that both new moms and grandmoms can use.
- You’ll find helpful ideas on how to have a healthier life while maintaining a busy life.
- Both my daughter and I have been following their nutritional and fitness advice.
3 – The Complete Idiot’s Guide to 40,000 Baby Names, 2nd ed. by Marcia Layton Taylor
- 40,000 names divided into 200 alphabetized lists.
- It’s easy to use and helps to take the stress out of choosing the right baby name.
- My daughter and son-in-law used this book to help them decide on name choices for their baby. She liked it better than the other books she looked at.
- After Luke was born, I gave the book as one of the baby shower gifts I gave to a fellow teacher who was expecting twins.
Unique Baby Shower Gifts | Books for Expectant Grandmoms:
4 – Super Granny by Sally Wendkos Olds
- Great stuff to do with your grandkids.
- Grandmothers share quality activities they experienced with their grandchildren.
- One of her ideas, using Makit to create a family memory keepsake, is something I will begin to do with my grandkids. Her youngest granddaughter was designing one for this year while I was visiting with them. (I just ordered one for our next vacation week for Kaitlin to design while she is visiting us.)
- NanasCorner.com is listed on page 208 under “Grandmother Blogs.”
5 – The Grandparent’s Book of Shared Memories: Keepsake Album by Fred DeBose
- A family chronicle to be prepared by grandparents and shared with generations who follow.
- Grandmom can create a loving record of a long-complete extended family or an unfolding work-in-progress with suggestions to help you along the way for tracing your family’s genealogy.
- The paper used in the album is acid-free, meaning it won’t yellow over time not damage the photographs.
- Included are adhesive photo corner holders and Exploring Your Family History, A Simple Guide to Tracing Your Roots.
- My son, Erik, and his new wife gave me this keepsake album for my recent 60th birthday. I’ve been researching our family tree and now I have a keepsake in which to extend our history to the present by including memories about our own family.
Unique Baby Shower Gifts | Books for Expectant Moms and New Grandmoms:
6 – Baby Smarts by Jackie Silberg
- Gives parents and grandparents opportunities to bond with baby while building a closer relationship from the start – we refer to it every time we visit. It also helps us make up new activities to keep Luke stimulated and entertained.
- A developmental chart covering the first year is the guide for the many simple games and experiences to develop babies’ physical, social-emotional, and intellectual development.
- Recently awarded two prestigious parenting awards: iParenting Award and National Parenting Publications Gold Award.
- Helps you unlock the power of baby’s brain with simple activities that don’t require expensive toys.
- These are easy and fun – I do them with our new grandson, Luke.
7 – The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Baby Sign Language, 2nd ed. by Diane Ryan
- Teaching sign language to baby beginning at about 6 months of age can help baby communicate needs, emotions, and wants which gives parents and grandparents earlier and more meaningful interactions with baby.
- Beginning words are more, eat, and milk – these will help your baby tell you his needs.
- Many clear illustrations help you easily learn the signs.
- “Research shows that children who sign also have academic advantages, including better literacy skills.” (p 28)
- Kaitlin and Emily used sign language as infants and toddlers as they were transitioning from baby talk to understandable language.
- As a teacher, I teach my students the signs that they can use in class to let me know their needs instead of calling out and interrupting others.
I hope these books have given you some unique baby shower gift ideas…they are gifts that will last longer than the use of that adorable little outfit you can’t resist buying for a baby gift. Oh, before your give them as baby shower gifts, take time to read them for yourself.
If you can’t be at the shower, here is a useful and enjoyable baby shower gift that will be much appreciated, I’m sure…
Give a gift card for a favorite restaurant…the new parents can either have a date night or order out if they are sleep deprived. If you live nearby, you can also give a certificate for a night of babysitting with the gift card.
Note: I do not receive any compensation if you purchase any of the 7 books through the links provided.