What would Thanksgiving dinner be without the traditional dessert of pumpkin pie. I’ve loved pumpkin pie since I was five months old! Homemade pumpkin pie recipes can be low fat and still delicious. Pumpkin is fat free itself – it’s what we put into the pumpkin pie recipe and the pie crust that adds the calories and fat.
With low fat and fat free evaporated milk, improved egg substitute products, and butter substitute products readily available, preparing low fat pumpkin pie and crust is quick and easy. It’s great that we can enjoy our pumpkin pie without the fat – almost guilt free! Add fat free frozen yogurt for an added treat…if you have room for Thanksgiving dessert after indulging in all those delicious traditional Thanksgiving recipes prepared by you or your hostess.
The following homemade pumpkin pie recipe is very low fat and pleasing to taste, too. Feel free to increase the amount of spices if it pleases your taste buds. I usually do!
Low Fat Pumpkin Pie
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 (14 ounce) can low fat or fat free sweetened evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shell
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat just until smooth.
- Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Low Fat Pie Crust
- 1 1/3 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. oil (Puritan, Canola, etc.)
- 3 tbsp. skim milk
- Combine flour and salt in bowl.
- Blend oil and milk in bowl.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir with fork until forms large clumps.
- Press into ball.
- Flatten to form 5-6 inch “pancake.”
- Roll between sheets of wax paper. Peel off top sheet. Flip into 9 inch pie pan. Remove other sheet. Press dough into pie plate. Trim and flute.