Heart Handprint Gift
Valentine’s Day is the next fun gift-giving holiday. The fun in this heart handprint gift for a Valentine’s Day gift is that your children can make a gift that will display the love for all to see for many years. It will truly be come a keepsake.
The nice thing about Valentine’s Day gifts to parents and grandparents is that, since they are given with love from the heart, they are more meaningful when designed and created by the child. Perfection is not a requirement!!
And…with dollar stores and also craft stores with weekly coupons (local or online), low-cost Valentine’s Day handprint gifts can be made easily without putting a dent into the budget…especially since it comes just a few weeks after Christmas.
Today’s post gives you easy DIY instructions for a heart handprint gift – a handpainted ceramic plate for grandparents any of the special people in a child’s life.
Handprint Valentine Gift – Ceramic Plate
First, before you purchase the supplies, plan the design so you can determine what size plate you will allow some space for poem lines if needed, and what color paints and marker you will use.
- White ceramic plate or large tile/hot plate (Dollar Store)
- Plaid FolkArt Enamel Paints and Clear Medium – or similar brand for baking on ceramic or glass objects (red, plus colors of choice)
- Permanent Marker (color of choice)
- Paint Brushes (wider for painting palms, narrower for fingers and also trim if desired)
- Foil (non-porous table protector)
- Cloth and Water (making corrections and clean-up)
1. Cut a plate template of the same size out of paper. Place the child’s hands so that they form a heart as shown in the photo, add words and the date.
2. When ready, clean the surface of the ceramic plate using soap and water. Then, clean area to be painted with alcohol. Let continue to dry for 30 minutes before painting.
3. Gently shake paint before applying. Paint child’s hands, one at a time, using a lot of paint on your brush. Be sure not to leave clumps that might drip onto the plate.
4. Cure your Valentine Handprint Poem Plate with 1 of 2 methods: Baking and Air Drying
Bake Method (recommended):
- Let your piece dry for 1 hour to be sure all layers of paint have dried.
- Place piece in a cool oven. Set oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake project for 30 minutes.
- Plate must heat gradually with the oven to avoid breakage. Do not place in a hot oven.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven off. Let plate cool completely in oven.
- Do not use for 72 hours.
Air Dry Method:
- Air dry the project for 21 days before use.