For Easter, the grandchildren and I madeÂ Nana’s Carrot Cake.Â The grandkidsÂ helped me measure the recipe’s ingredients and thenÂ threw them intoÂ a largeÂ bowl. They did a good jobÂ stirringÂ it, too.Â Nana’s Carrot CakeÂ turned out delicious. Everyone came back for more. They said it was the best! Not only doesÂ the carrot cakeÂ taste yummy, it’s good for grandchildren and grandparentsÂ because itÂ is made withÂ carrots, walnuts, raisins, applesauce, and pineapple.Â Refrigerate the leftovers, if you have any. This carrot cake stays moist for days!Â Here is the recipe:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2Â cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup natural applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with natural juice (drained)
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 9 x11 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, walnuts, applesauce, pineapple and raisins.
- Using a large wooden spoon or a whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into prepared 9×11 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) forÂ 50 minutes. Add a little more time if needed, until toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Allow to cool beforeÂ icing with Creamy Cream Cheese Icing.
Note:Â For variety, ice only half theÂ Nana’s Carrot CakeÂ and top the other half with natural applesauce or crushed pineapple.
Creamy Cream Cheese Icing – delicious and easy to make…
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (or neufatchel cheese)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed (or lite version)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
Grandparents and grandchildren, enjoyÂ Nana’s Carrot CakeÂ served with aÂ tall glass of cold milk for each of you!