For Easter, the grandchildren and I made Nana’s Carrot Cake. The grandkids helped me measure the recipe’s ingredients and then threw them into a large bowl. They did a good job stirring it, too. Nana’s Carrot Cake turned out delicious. Everyone came back for more. They said it was the best! Not only does the carrot cake taste yummy, it’s good for grandchildren and grandparents because it is made with carrots, walnuts, raisins, applesauce, and pineapple. Refrigerate the leftovers, if you have any. This carrot cake stays moist for days! Here is the recipe:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup natural applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with natural juice (drained)
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 9 x11 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, walnuts, applesauce, pineapple and raisins.
- Using a large wooden spoon or a whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into prepared 9×11 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes. Add a little more time if needed, until toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Allow to cool before icing with Creamy Cream Cheese Icing.
Note: For variety, ice only half the Nana’s Carrot Cake and top the other half with natural applesauce or crushed pineapple.
Creamy Cream Cheese Icing – delicious and easy to make…
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (or neufatchel cheese)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed (or lite version)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
Grandparents and grandchildren, enjoy Nana’s Carrot Cake served with a tall glass of cold milk for each of you!