Christmas Handprint Wreath
Handprint gifts are so precious to grandparents and parents, alike, for Christmas or any special occasion. They canÂ be used onÂ wall hangings (see Christmas handprint wreath picture below), pillows, plates, and tote bags. The handprint gift possibilities are endless. Unfortunately, our grandchildren and children can’t remain small forever, but painted handprint gifts can capture the years when they were young…and still wanted to spend time with us as in contrast to the years when they become independent teens….
Kaitlin presented us with an early Christmas present this year. It is the Christmas handprint wreath made with fabric paintsÂ pictured above which she made in her 2nd grade art class.Â Included with the Christmas handprint wreath wasÂ the following handprint poem:
I miss you when weâ€™re not together
Iâ€™m growing up so fast
See how big Iâ€™ve gotten
Since you saw me last?
As I grow, Iâ€™ll change a lot,
The years will fly right by.
Youâ€™ll wonder how I grew so quick
When and where and why?
So look upon this handprint (these handprints)
Thatâ€™s hanging on your wall.
And memories will come back of me,
When I was very small.
Now every Christmas we’ll be able to hang her Christmas handprint wreath on our wall (and we still do) and remember back when she was so small….and wonder where the years have gone (and we still do)…as we do now with our children’s handmade ornaments from years that have passed, oh so too quickly.
What You Need:
- white material of any kind (old pillowcases are great)
- green and red paint (fabric paint is better but tempera paint will work)
- doll rods
What You Do:
- Have the children place their hands in paint and arrange green hand prints in a wreath pattern on the fabric.
- Then when the green dries, have them add red fingertips as berries around the wreath.
- Glue top of fabric to the doll rod. Add yarn to hang wreath.
- Make two bows and glue to each corner.
- If you’d like, you can write the poem on the fabric in the middle of the wreath. Use a fabric paint pen.
- Remember when doing this craft to place cardboard under the fabric.
- For more ideas and poems, check my Handprint Poems category below.