In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I’m sharing a recipe for authentic Irish Potato Soup. In 2012 I received this recipe for authentic Irish Potato Soup along with a special promo from Denby, creators of beautiful pottery and stoneware for more than 200 years.
I know you’ll love both the pottery and the Authentic Irish Potato Soup!!
It’s the Irish Butter that makes this Irish Potato Soup irresistible!Â
Your St. Patrick’s Day table will look beautiful when you serve this authentic Irish Potato Soup recipe in Denby’s new Regency Green Round Casserole. Your leprechauns, both small and not so small, will love this authentic Irish potato soup!
Authentic IRISH POTATO SOUP
- 2 tablespoons of Irish butter (It has a higher fat content that American butters, which makes the finished recipe creamier.)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 3-4 large potatoes, washed & peeled
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 cups of milk (2% or Whole Milk work better than skim)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (If you like more garlic, try adding 1-2 more cloves)
- 1-2 teaspoon fresh parsley (Save some for garnishing)
- 3 pieces of celery, chopped (If you don’t like the texture of celery, try using just the chopped leafs.)
- Black pepper & salt to taste
- 2 cups of grated cheese (Sharp cheddar is great, but you can try your favorite cheeses.)
- Start by dicing the onions and potatoes into small bite-size cubes and add to a pan with melted Irish butter.Â Cover with lid and cook on heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add the chicken bouillon, celery, parsley, garlic and season with salt & pepper.
- Once combined, add milk and mix until soup becomes thick. TIP: If soup is too thin, try adding a teaspoon of flour, but dilute in 1-2 teaspoons of water first to avoid clumps.Â If soup becomes too thick, add a little more milk.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender.
- Before serving, stir in cheese and mix until fully melted.
- For an American spin, garnish with crumbled bacon for a hearty dinner.
- Serve piping hot and enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day!
(IÂ have not, andÂ will not, receive anything for promoting this product – just this wonderful authentic Irish Potato Soup recipe to share with you!) I’m making this recipe for St. Pat’s Day! We love potato soup.
You can find Denby on Facebook, too.