…Memorial Day remains one of America’s most cherished patriotic observances. The spirit of this day has not changed – it remains a day to honor those who died defending our freedom and democracy. Doc Hastings
Memorial Day Activities Made Memorable
Have we lost the true meaning of Memorial Day? For many, I fear, it marks the beginning of summer with Memorial Day activities without any reference to the true meaning of the day: three-day weekend with sleeping in on Monday, bar-b-ques, trips to the beach, and lots of money-saving sales. Let’s save them for the 4th of July.
It is so very important to teach our children the true meaning of this patriotic observance by participating in memorable family traditions. The Memorial Day activities may vary, but the meaning behind them must never be lost.
Just explaining to our children the how and why Memorial Day is observed isn’t enough.Â We need to help our children learn through participating in activities that they can enjoy. Memorial Day activities can be a lot of fun with careful planning…and not difficult to find. Almost every community has Memorial Day activities to attend…or, we can create our own fun, memorable Memorial Day family traditions.
9 Memorial Day Activities to Make Your Day Memorable*
The following activities are suggestions of 9 easy things you, your family, and neighbors can do to celebrate…individually, as a group, a neighborhood, and a community.
Before Memorial Day… Memorable Things to Do
1. Â Contact the Memorial Day Committee
- offer for your family to read one of theseÂ Memorial Day Poems, or
- ask how your family can help in other ways.
2. Â Fly the American Flag
- Purchase flags at a dollar store and place them along the street edge of your property, then
- Distribute flyers asking your neighbors to do the same.
- If you have neighbors who are elderly or disabled, offer to do it for them.
3. Â Celebrate our freedom with neighbors, plan
- house and yard decorating contest…to be judged on Memorial Day during…
- neighborhood block party…where everyone brings American dishes to share, such as hot dogs, baked beans, local produce salads and fruit…and perhaps an apple pie bake off…
- bike parade where each bike, stroller, wagon are decorated in red, white, and blue – give each participant a number to display for judging
4. Â Create a Patriotic Music Playlist on Pandora so others can enjoy it, too.
On Memorial Day…Honor Those Who Fought For Our Freedom
5. Â Attend Your Community’s Memorial Day Observance – greet and thank the Veterans attending the ceremony
6. Â Visit a Veterans Hospital or Nursing Home – take time to visit with the veterans, get to know at least one and stay in touch with cards and visits
7. Â Order Flowers – continue the Memorial Day tradition started in the 1860s, place flowers on graves of Veterans, help clean and trim their graves while you are there.
8. Â Free to Be American – celebrate the day by attending or participating in a Memorial Day Parade to show your support and honor those who bravely fought for our freedom
9. Â The National Moment of Remembrance – atÂ 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day pause for a minute of silence to remember and honor those who have died in service for our country, for our freedom…
*For additional Memorial Day activity suggestions and ways to support our troops and their families, visit Military.com.
Thank you to all the servicemen and women and their families who have sacrificed for our freedom. Â
I look forward to your sharing ways you and your family participate in memorable Memorial Day activities. Photos are welcome!
May you all have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day!
Leave A Comment