Children’s Gardening Poem with Children’s Gardening Tips Directory
If you are looking for an ongoing activity to do with grandchildren, why not plan a kid friendly garden! Spring is here so that means it’s time to save empty yogurt containers for reuse to plant seeds, visit a garden center to choose kid friendly seeds to plant, and prepare an organic garden bed in hope that we won’t be surprised again with snowflakes from above.
Children’s Garden Poem: My Spring Garden
Poppy and I will soon be planning a healthy organic garden with our granddaughters to give them a special project to be involved in as the birth of their new brother approaches. They’ll plant and nurture their garden, watching it grow as they learn to help nurture their baby brother, watching him grow, too.
My Spring Garden
Here is my little garden,
Some seeds I’m going to sow.
Here is my rake to rake the ground,
Here is my handy hoe.
Here is the big, round yellow sun;
The sun warms everything.
Here are the rain clouds in the sky;
The birds will start to sing.
Little plants will wake up soon,
And lift their sleepy heads;
Little plants will grow and grow
In their little, warm earth beds.
~ Author Unknown ~
Gardening with Children
Kaitlin is in second grade and very interested in science. Before we begin their children’s garden, we will do some researching on the Children’s Gardening Tips websites listed below and visit the library for kids’ gardening books to help us learn what to plant and how to be environmentally friendly gardeners.
If you are distance grandparents, you can plan your gardens together, discussing what to plant, how to plant it, and share pictures you take as your garden grows. Surprise your grandchild by sending packets of seeds, and if you can – add children’s gardening tools, gloves, and a gardening tips written on your grandchild’s reading level. On the children’s gardening sites below, you’ll find additional tips and ideas for kids’ gardens.
Children’s Gardening Tips Directory:
- Tips for You and Your Child to Enjoy Gardening (About.com)
- Tips for Gardening with Kids (TAMU.edu)
- Family Gardening Tips (Family Education)
- Gardening with Children
- Gardening with Kids (Home and Family Network)
- Good Gardening Books for Kids (HGTV)
- Gardening with Children Tips (HGTV)
- Children’s Gardening
- Websites on Children’s Gardening for Students and Teachers (cjims.org)
- Gardening Healthy and Safety Tips (CDC.gov)
- High Park Children’s Garden (PBS)
- Gardening with Children (Earth Easy)
- Gardening with Kids (Teacher Vision)
- Cook Kids Grow (New Zealand)
- The Bulb Project
- Keep Kids Healthy
- The Great Plant Escape (Illinois.edu)
Happy gardening with your grandchidren!